Whether it’s crunching public adoption numbers to make a recommendation to product teams on new programming languages to support, helping marketing craft developer-friendly messaging or helping senior leadership understand emerging developer-led trends and their implications, RedMonk exists to help companies understand and work with developers.
We see a different world than most. We see:
- A world increasingly dominated by the practitioner: the developer, designer, DBA, sysadmin or operator.
- A world increasingly driven by bottom up adoption of open source software and cloud based hardware.
- A world in which much of the software we deploy was built by Web companies.
- A world in which decision making is distributed and social.
- A world in which the kingmakers aren’t enterprise salespeople wearing expensive shoes and crisp blue cotton shirts, but hackers in t-shirts writing code.
When we founded RedMonk in 2002, things were different. Other industry analyst firms were all about purchasing driven technology adoption, understanding dominant big vendors that sold software to a few senior executives in 18 month sales cycles, who then foisted their choices on to developers in the trenches.
But we saw the change coming and helped the industry understand and prepare for it. With each year that passes, our thesis that developers are the New Kingmakers becomes less controversial. But even as the technology world has come around to the idea that developers are important, the question becomes: how best to engage with these new kingmakers?
That’s what we do at RedMonk every day. If you’re looking for an analyst or research firm that understands developers, and is easy and fun to work with, we should talk.
Don’t Take Our Word For It
“Redmonk is one of the best analyst firms in the market. They know what’s next, stay closely connected with clients and notable people in the industry alike – and have given me terrific advice over the years. It also helps that they’re really great to work with.”
– Abby Kearns, executive director at Cloud Foundry
“Best in the biz, bar none.”
– Emil Eifrem founder and CEO Neo4J
“Redmonk is more than just an analyst firm – they focus on building real relationships with clients, thoroughly digging into their long term vision and strategy and helping them to think through whether or not their short term strategy will help them achieve that. They also understand their focus areas better than pretty much anyone out their in the market. Their uniquely deep relationships across the industry enable them to give more thoughtful and tailored advice than any other firm I’ve seen thus far.”
– Erica Brescia co-founder and COO Bitnami
“Super insightful, Redmonk is tech’s most influential analyst firm. They have a knack for predicting, or instigating the future- I haven’t figured out which yet. I love that they use their powers to be a driving force for more diversity and ethics in the tech industry.”
– Tracy Miranda director of open source community, Cloudbees
“I’ve worked with RedMonk at 3 different companies so far. Yes, they get developers. And yes, I would hire them again.”
– Claire Giordano VP marketing Citus Data
Discussing if you should become a RedMonk client “That’s an easy yes.”
– Mike Olson chief strategy officer Cloudera
“RedMonk gets developers.”
– Adam Seligman developer relations Google
“Redmonk is the only analyst firm that I read as I learn something new from them regularly. They ask the right questions and do not reprint press releases from vendors or the accept the latest tech hype as gospel. They are making the industry level up and actually explain what they bring to the table.”
– Yodit Stanton founder and CEO OpenSensors.
“No other analyst is as clued in as the RedMonk crew.”
– Matthias Zeller group product manager LinkedIn
“I always enjoy talking to the Redmonk folks. They listen actively and push back in real time if needed. I always leave the conversation with more than I brought into it and I always know where they stand (no surprises). If only all analyst conversations followed that same pattern…”
– Jeff Whatcott entrepreneur & startup advisor
“If you’re wondering what tech analyst firms will look like in the future, take a peek at RedMonk.”
– Ryan Tomayko Developer
“One of few analyst firms that provides real value.”
– Zack Urlocker Software executive, board member, investor, mentor, advisor
“[RedMonk]…smart people who are living and breathing transparent production principles, and as a result are quite influential and should be getting more so.”
– Luis Villa Co-founder Tidelift
“I am the sworn enemy of most analysts, who do little more than tell you one of two things: 1) what happened 5 years ago, but you weren’t paying attention, or 2) exactly what won’t happen in the future. If you were to do the exact opposite of their recommendations, you’d be better off. Not so with RedMonk.”
– Chris Petrilli Distinguished Security Architect, TIAA