Finishing up the interview series at Microsoft TechEd IT Forum in Barcelona, I talk with Eric Berg (Director of Product Management, System Center) about the System Center product lines. While we focus on only Operations Manager, Configuration Manager, and Virtual Machine Manager, we go into detail on each. We start out going over the linage of the System Center brand: mapping MOM to System Center Operations Manager and SMS to System Center Configuration Manager. Then Eric describes what function both Operations Manager and Configuration Manager serve, spending time detailing the inventory and asset management that Configuration Manager does, highlighting the AssetMetrix integration. We then talk about what System Center offers for virtualization management and discuss everyone’s favorite virtualization topic, live migration of VMs. We end by talking about how Microsoft uses partners and the greater System Center ecosystem to address questions about heterogeneity, and then end on discussing what role developers play in Microsoft’s general “philosophy of IT management.”
alcatel-lucent amee apache community developer community developer ecosystem developers distributed management drew conway ecology exit interview framework gavin starks github influence java Joe Brockmeier joe long laurel ruma mike maney monkigras monki gras monktoberfest nimble ohloh open source open source foundations oreilly osgi paremus paula hunter piracy rafe colburn redmonk richard nicholson robert dunne ryan tomayko service fabric shell social web stack stackless stack Steve Citron-Pousty talks tom raftery
- Monktoberfest – the overview
- Open Data is not the same as Open Source
- OSS and Social Media Punditry vs Zealotry
- Dropping science on your developer ecosystem – lessons from ecosystem management
- Engaging influencers in a Post-PR world using non-traditional methods of abstraction and intuition
- The career-defining consequences of value productivity on Assholes are Ruining Your Project. Donnie Berkholz (RedMonk).
- We need more Lazy Managers - Mike Hostetler on Distributed Management – Github’s Ryan Tomayko
- Internets of Interest for 26th October 2012 — EtherealMind on Assholes are Ruining Your Project. Donnie Berkholz (RedMonk).
- vijay on Building the Knowledge11 Portal on-top of the ServiceNow Platform
- Rich Internet Applications and User Interface Videos & Tutorials Directory on Ben Watson on Enterprise RIA at Adobe MAX 2010