this puts a significant dent in my datacenters-to-Maine plan
“Since squirrels can neutralize rattlesnake venom” – interesting. i didn’t know they could do that.
Mark Shuttleworth urges users to vote for a single ISO document format: as someone who believes that multiple formats are in the best interests of vendors but not users, i agree.
Tim reacts to Sam’s Long Bets
so does Anant
and Sam, in turn, responds to the responses
playing with these is on my list, along w/ ManyEyes which is easily the most impressive on a superficial level
why don’t my pictures look like this? houser’s very good
“Yankee fans are passionate about their teams, but they’re a little more couth.” – Gary Matthews, you just made my enemies list. also, have you been to NY?
that said, my sincere condolences to Yankees fans: Scooter was always a character. a good ballplayer, as my grandfather would have put it.
thanks to Ken for sending this over to me: some very interesting math going on to compute probability, likelihood, and so on
a rather startling – and curiously timed – attack on VMWare’s ESX product
“Microsoft, apparently, is helping the folks at Mono to port Silverlight to Linux. This is good news, as the primary fear I’ve heard from developers is that Silverlight will be locked to Microsoft platforms…” Microsoft takes my advice 2 yrs later
Book Time with Me
Look at my schedule, request an appointment, etc. here.
- DVCS and Git Usage in 2014
- The Scale Imperative
- The Implications of IaaS Pricing Patterns and Trends
- What are the Most Popular Open Source Licenses Today?
- Model vs Execution
- A Few Suggestions for Briefing Analysts
- The 2014 Monktoberfest
- A Swing of the Pendulum: Are Fragmentation’s Days Numbered?
- What is the Atomic Unit of Computing?
- SaaS vs The Perpetual License Model
- The RedMonk Programming Language Rankings: June 2014
- What Everyone is Missing About as-a-Service Businesses
- Consciously Decoupling: Microservices, Swarm and the Unix Philosophy
- Software and EMC
- Don’t Call it a Comeback, or SOA, But Services Are on the Rise
- What is a Software Company Today?
- What Does the WhatsApp Acquisition Mean?
- Quarterly Language Performance on GitHub 2011 – 2013
- What’s in Store for 2014: A Few Predictions
- The RedMonk Programming Language Rankings: January 2014
- Revisiting the 2013 Predictions
- DVCS and Git Usage in 2013
- On Steve Ballmer
- Updated IaaS Pricing Patterns and Trends
- Community Metrics: Comparing Ansible, Chef, Puppet and Salt
- App Stores
- Application Development
- Apps I Can't Live Without
- Ask RedMonk
- Big Data
- Book Review
- Bottom Up Adoption
- Business Models
- Completely Off Topic
- Conferences & Shows
- Configuration Management
- Digital Rights Management
- Emerging Technologies
- How To's and More
- Hybrid Source
- In the Headlines
- Industry Analysis
- M&A Announcements
- Open Source
- Open Standards
- Operating Systems
- Privacy & Security
- Product Announcements
- Programming Languages
- Random Offers
- Red Sox
- RedMonk Analytics
- RedMonk IT Report
- RedMonk Miscellaneous
- Shadow IT
- Social Networking
- Social Software
- Trends & Observations
- Venture Capital
- Version Control
- Virtual Worlds
- Web 2.0