If you don’t hear from me this afternoon, it’s because 1and1 seems to have blacklisted my IP at the home office from my own site. Why that might be is open to question; the only thing I can think of is that they didn’t like it when I tried to fetch our Apache logfiles via wget. A couple of hours ago, I upgraded my Splunk install and I was going to have it parse our web logs to get an idea of what it can do, so I SSH’d into my local server, then tried to pull the log files down remotely. A couple of minutes later, I found myself unable to log into the site via FTP and couldn’t resolve it in the browser using any of our various URLs.
At first, I thought this was a general problem and so I restarted Apache, but after pinging a couple of folks it would seem that the problem is local to my network, because no one else is having trouble hitting the site (and I can actually still ping it). Hence my assumption that 1and1′s blacklisted me – an assumption that is validated by the fact that I’m able to log into the site just fine, on the same hardware, from a coffee shop network.
If anybody has any tips for either forcing Comcast to issue me a new IP (release/renew didn’t do it, and neither did a restart of the modem & router), unblacklisting my IP with 1and1, or alternate theories as to what may be causing this, I’d love to hear them. Otherwise, look for me to come back when I get this figured out. Or when I make it back to a coffee shop.