I wrote a post yesterday that was long enough some of you might not have gotten to the end of it. But my friend Mark Charmer from Akvo did read it, and called out the salient points. Call it link-baiting, but it strikes me I should take a leaf out of his book. So using the tried and tested x ways to format…
- Reporting needs to be an ongoing process and conversation, not a once a year event.
- Reporting needs to be more like an app and less like a document.
- Data needs to be freely accessible, rather than presented in static form such as in a PDF – organisations should offer sustainability reporting APIs.
- Social. Web technologies allow us to put the social into CSR by engaging with a broader range of stakeholders. Integrate with and use tools like Facebook and Twitter.
- Sustainability must be tied into general business reporting and strategy.
- Sustainability must be a strategic imperative, not a PR-led effort
Related works – SAP’s latest Sustainability Report is teh awesome! Sustainability and CSR Reporting: There’s An App For That. A Letter to SAP and the future and this excellent piece Sustainability reporting in tech companies – the hardware vs software divide.