I’ve been at VMWorld this week. It really is the JavaOne of the operations world – nuts! Also, as you see, I did some reading up on Eucalyptus – look for a video going over their new release soon.
- Alcatel-Lucent Acquires OpenPlug, a Cross-Platform Mobile Software Development Tool Provider — PARIS, September 1, 2010 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ –
- Apple event, September 1: The Boing Boing Liveblog – Boing Boing
"230,000 IOS activations per day"
- ongoing by Tim Bray · A Story of O
Great mixture of sentiment in the comments.
- Eucalyptus Anchors the Latest Cloud Software Stack
- Eucalyptus Builds Scalability Into Private Clouds
- MomentumSI Describes Complete Solution for “The Perfect Private / Hybrid Cloud” Technology Platform | Business Wire
- Red Hat targets interoperability with cloud updates
- Apple Said to Prepare 99-Cent TV Shows to Fend Off Netflix, Hulu
Consider the "what if Apple really got into TV" rumors and scenarios.
- New entry into cloud computing
On vCloud competing with OpenStack – “With the popularity of VMware and maturity of the company, I'm sure it'd be on the private-cloud shortlist,” said Michael Coté, an analyst with RedMonk, in an online chat.
- Puppet Camp: Learn More About Open Source Data Center Automation | Puppet Labs
Probably a good place to see what all the hoopla about next generation automation is.
- Belgacom ICT Commercial Data Center Hosting Services Selects AccelOps Integrated Data Center Monitoring Solution – MarketWatch
"Belgacom ICT employs the AccelOps' platform to monitor, alert, assess and report its data center hosted services that support over 200 commercial enterprise-class customers"
- VMware Outlines Vision for Next Decade of Information Technology
Combining Java (SpringSource) and virtualization (VMWare) to do private clouds. Requires a "new platform," of course – and the big question (on VMWare's path to become the next Microsoft, or IBM) is around parts of the stack VMWare doesn't own: an operating system, networking gear, servers, storage, services – "To ensure that the new generation of applications takes full advantage of virtualized and cloud infrastructure, a new cloud application platform is required. The platform combines an application framework that enhances developer productivity and ensures application portability with comprehensive integrated platform services that speed and optimize deployment. Applications built according to this new model will be portable across heterogeneous cloud environments and, when running on VMware-enabled clouds, will be able to intelligently share information with underlying infrastructure to maximize application performance, quality of service and infrastructure utilization."
- VMware Plans New 'Cloud' Push – WSJ.com
- Curtain Raiser: At VMworld, Cloud Will be Center Stage
- Retargeting Ads Follow Surfers to Other Sites – NYTimes.com
More from the Better Junk Mail department.
- Intel to acquire wireless chipmaker for $1.4bn
- HP punts turnkey Matrix cloud • The Register
Hardware, VMWare, and services bundled together.
- Citrix buys virtualization vendor VMLogix | The Industry Standard – InfoWorld
Disclosure: see the RedMonk client list for clients mentioned.